Friday, May 8, 2009

Why I'm Glad I'm Single (Right Now)

I was reading Emily from Unfurling Flower's post about being single. She seriously stole the words from me. A year ago, I was the saddest single person ever. I thought surely life would be 100 times better if I was married. How the Lord has changed my perspective!

I am so grateful to be single right now because the man I would've thought to be perfect for me a year ago is a LOT different than who I think would be perfect for me now. I want the man I marry to love Jesus so much that it's overflowing. I want us to be able to lift each other up in our walks with Christ and have Him be the center of our relationship. I want God to be glorified by how we treat each other. I don't think I can honestly say that I felt this strongly about this a year ago.

I am so grateful to be single right now because I have learned so much about being a wife in the last year. I want my marriage, and particularly my role as a wife, to glorify God. I've come to understand and love the idea of marital submission. (Ephesians 5:22-24-"Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife even as Christ is the head of the church, his body, and is himself its Savior. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit in everything to their husbands.") The reasons I want to be married have become less selfish and more focused on growing the kingdom of Christ.

I am so grateful to be single right now because I have an extremely valuable resource: time. I want to serve others in ways that I might not be able to if I was in a relationship. Relationships take a lot of cultivating, and while I will be more than willing when the time is right, for now, I am enjoying molding and shaping other areas of my life.

I know the Lord has impeccable timing. It's evident in all areas of my life and it's also evident in scripture. I know the Lord has me at this stage of my life at this time in my life for a purpose. While I sometimes wish I could make my own path, I know and trust that our God is sovereign and has something much better in store for me than I could have for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment