Thursday, June 4, 2009

22 Memories of Being 22- (#7)

#7: Some Not-So-Fun Stuff

As fun as it is to reflect on the good times of the year, sometimes it's the trials that make the most impact.

Everyone makes fun of me for taking the death of Angel's pitcher Nick Adenhart so seriously, but it really impacted me! I guess because it was so sudden and he was exactly my age. He had his whole future ahead of him and it was wiped out by someone who decided to drive drunk. I can't imagine being on top of the world and then being gone in an instant. It's such a reminder to take every day for what it is and to be joyful. We can be called home at any moment. Each day, each minute, each breath is a blessing.



Another tough moment was hearing that my good friend, Roy Atkins, was diagnosed with a very rare blood disease. There is a light at the end of this tunnel as the disease has no spread to his marrow or his major organs, so he'll be undergoing chemo to kick this in the butt. Genesee and Roy are handling this hard situation with joy and hope in the Lord, which is always encouraging. Roy is one tough cookie and will pull through this! However, it's reminded me that we need to keep our faith and hope in Christ regardless of the circumstances. Roy's website is www.caringbridge.org/visit/royatkinsjr if you want to check out his status!



No comments:

Post a Comment