Saturday, April 17, 2010

And when...?

It's hard to pick a favorite verse of the Bible. I think they should all be my favorite; after all, it's the Word of God...we should be inundated with it always.

Still, there are those verses that resound in my head at the most opportune times and far be it for me to say it's anything but divine intervention.

The verse that has been resounding in my head off and on for over a year is Psalm 46:10: "Be still and know that I am God."

Ok, I know how to "be still"...and I know how to acknowledge that you "are God"...but putting them together is a challenge for me.

Be still and know that I am God. So even when I had my life perfectly planned out in my head (with dates and everything-- I'm a planner), and those things didn't happen...you're still God.

Be still and know that I am God. And when I feel like you're not there because I'm too busy to notice your presence, to acknowledge your creation, to feel your grace...you're still God.

Be still and know that I am God. And when anxiety and fear creep into my heart because I don't know how I'm ever going to accomplish the things I want to accomplish or how I'll ever have time to do and see all the things that this vapor of a life has to offer...you're still God.

Be still and know that I am God. And when I'm overwhelmed with the daily life that I live, that is smothered in your mercy and love, and I choose to feel bad for myself and console myself in anything other than stillness and reverence that you are God...you're still God.

Thank you, Lord, for being a perfect, holy, and loving God who is God, even when I am not still enough to honor it.

1 comment: